Food for thought
26/2/2010. That was the last time I ate chicken. After that, I gave up eating non-veg items as I realised I can't be a part of the violence involved in preparation of meat dishes. Since then, I was surrounded by curious questions on my food habit. 'Are you a brahmin? , Don't plants have feelings?, What if you live in a place which only has non-veg food?, People in your state consume a lot of meat. Why not you? By eating plants aren't you killing them?'. Well, the list goes on!
One thing I always emphasised on is that I have no right to question someone else's food habit and would dare to say a word on it. I know that there is only one life and as my friend puts it, 'I am missing out something great in life.' But that doesn't made me
rethink even once about my decision.
However, I don't claim myself a vegetarian since I at times consume milk products. I am also not a supporter of some vegetarian groups which mock/criticise people's food habits.
I am also not bothered about concerns like 'I will lose out on protein' to those silly ones like 'I am not going to get a marriage partner.'
You might be thinking what is the purpose behind such a post that doesn't have any relevance to today's world. Well, it's just to make you all familiar about the life of a so-called vegetarian.
Friends will make sure to sit near me on Sundays to grab my share of meat in the hostel. Sometimes they vent out their frustration on vegans upon me. I never tried to 'lecture' anyone on my decision. Since it is a burden to take me to some restaurants that only serve non-veg dishes, I conveniently make it a point to miss out such parties. At home, since Amma, sister and grandmother are vegetarians, there is no extra burden from my side.
The only time I felt bad while being a vegetarian was when I went to Anchamma's home in Thandur. We shopped in the village market and purchased fish. I know well that she is an expert in it and it was after a long time her children are going to have fish. I told her only before serving fish curry that I gave up a long ago. She didn't force me. But I knew that she would've loved if I tasted it.
I also have problems with tags like 'pure vegetarian. I know it emerged as a marketing term but I don't like what it means.
Growing up in a Kuttanad village, I had the fortune to taste different kinds of meat and fish items. For several people, non-veg food is less costly and thus they consume it on a daily basis. That's why I cannot buy the argument that beef should be banned in India. I often wonder why they never try to protect the n number of cows who wander around the street and end up eating plastic. I also understand that at present milk farmers have no option when the cow gets old and that's why they have to approach slaughterhouses.
Having said that, I believe it is our obligation too to make the animals feel safer at this planet. We grabbed power to rule this earth and exploit resources at our will. We use animal skin/parts to make fairness creams, leather products and such. We also enjoy watching elephant processions with God and care less to the fact that the poor animal is suffering under the hot sun.
To sum it up, being a veg food eater is not just limited to food. It is an idea based on the realisation that we are causing some hurt to others to satisfy our pleasure. What are those pleasures which we can give up and what are those we can keep? Think about it.
PS: Apologies for the lengthy post :)
Comments
Post a Comment