Posing with celebrities
We, ordinary humans, have a special curiosity towards celebrities and their private life. Media reports about their personal happenings are partly influenced by the reader/viewer interest. It reflects on the number of hits an article gets in cyberspace.
As part of my media job, I got the chance to interact with some famous people. Before entering this field, my first big opportunity was to meet Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. It was the 15th of October, 2009, Kalam sir's birthday. Dr Kalam stayed at Alappuzha Guest House to take part in a school function. My uncle, who was a Sub Inspector asked me and my cousin sister to come along. I went with my autograph book. He signed it after giving a bright, broad smile. My uncle had arranged a cameraman. I disliked the idea of framing it and displaying in my house. I reasoned with my parents but they had other plans. When I was away from home, they got it framed. Whenever I go home, I still make a fuzz about it.
In 2013 International Film Festival of Kerala, my friends envied at me for a photograph which took me to a new level. I was part of the media cell and on the final day, we were invited to an event party. We went to the programme and met some big directors. But I stayed away. The filmmakers were busy talking to others and I was quite shy. That's when my friends jumped on to this person who was calmly eating his dinner with another person. It was Kim Ki Duk. The famous Korean filmmaker. He asked us to wait for a minute.
After finishing dinner he called us! Much to our surprise, he took group photos with us. A friend asked for an individual pose and suddenly it became a pattern. Everyone got their photos. I was the last person and as I was about to ask permission, he took hold of my hands and twisted me. Another cameraman was asking to pose for photos. He put both of his arms around me and hugged tightly. I put my arms across his shoulders. We both laughed at each other. The photographer did not miss the click. A few days later, I sent this to a friend also a Duk fan. She asked me to post it on Facebook and it received a viral response. Duk hugging me became a talking point in my circle! The next day I went to college, friends looked at me in awe and everyone had only one thing to ask. "What did Duk tell you?"
After I entered this profession, I had the chance to do personal interviews with many celebrities including PV Sindhu, Mithali Raj, Manasi Joshi, P Gopichand, R Ashwin, Rohan Bopanna, Ashwini Ponnappa, Rashid Khan, Dinesh Karthik, Martin Guptill along with many others. My editor gave me opportunities to cover IPL matches and meet Indian cricketers for various events. I did not bother them by asking selfies nor did I post anything on social media. Friends in my office always asked me why I am like this. I respect their achievements but consider it improper to ask them to stand with me for photos. I know that it has become a routine for celebrities. Mithali once told me that no matter you like it or not, it has become a new normal. I know all this. Sometimes, getting five minutes for an interview is tougher than a selfie! I am a shy person living comfortably in my tiny space. I don't normally ask people if they can do it for me. I remember that day when I asked a traveller if he can click my photo at Charminar. I had to convince myself though it is not a big deal to ask a small help. Only introverts can get this feeling!
As part of my media job, I got the chance to interact with some famous people. Before entering this field, my first big opportunity was to meet Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. It was the 15th of October, 2009, Kalam sir's birthday. Dr Kalam stayed at Alappuzha Guest House to take part in a school function. My uncle, who was a Sub Inspector asked me and my cousin sister to come along. I went with my autograph book. He signed it after giving a bright, broad smile. My uncle had arranged a cameraman. I disliked the idea of framing it and displaying in my house. I reasoned with my parents but they had other plans. When I was away from home, they got it framed. Whenever I go home, I still make a fuzz about it.
In 2013 International Film Festival of Kerala, my friends envied at me for a photograph which took me to a new level. I was part of the media cell and on the final day, we were invited to an event party. We went to the programme and met some big directors. But I stayed away. The filmmakers were busy talking to others and I was quite shy. That's when my friends jumped on to this person who was calmly eating his dinner with another person. It was Kim Ki Duk. The famous Korean filmmaker. He asked us to wait for a minute.
After finishing dinner he called us! Much to our surprise, he took group photos with us. A friend asked for an individual pose and suddenly it became a pattern. Everyone got their photos. I was the last person and as I was about to ask permission, he took hold of my hands and twisted me. Another cameraman was asking to pose for photos. He put both of his arms around me and hugged tightly. I put my arms across his shoulders. We both laughed at each other. The photographer did not miss the click. A few days later, I sent this to a friend also a Duk fan. She asked me to post it on Facebook and it received a viral response. Duk hugging me became a talking point in my circle! The next day I went to college, friends looked at me in awe and everyone had only one thing to ask. "What did Duk tell you?"
After I entered this profession, I had the chance to do personal interviews with many celebrities including PV Sindhu, Mithali Raj, Manasi Joshi, P Gopichand, R Ashwin, Rohan Bopanna, Ashwini Ponnappa, Rashid Khan, Dinesh Karthik, Martin Guptill along with many others. My editor gave me opportunities to cover IPL matches and meet Indian cricketers for various events. I did not bother them by asking selfies nor did I post anything on social media. Friends in my office always asked me why I am like this. I respect their achievements but consider it improper to ask them to stand with me for photos. I know that it has become a routine for celebrities. Mithali once told me that no matter you like it or not, it has become a new normal. I know all this. Sometimes, getting five minutes for an interview is tougher than a selfie! I am a shy person living comfortably in my tiny space. I don't normally ask people if they can do it for me. I remember that day when I asked a traveller if he can click my photo at Charminar. I had to convince myself though it is not a big deal to ask a small help. Only introverts can get this feeling!

Comments
Post a Comment