Suma

"Anna can't speak good Telugu and I don't understand Hindi," little Suma told her friend Jyothi. It was not the first time I heard it from her. Sometimes in the past when I don't process what she said, she would put her arms on her hip and stare at me. She would say, "Meekku chepthe prayojanam lethu," (No use in telling you). But she would again come and repeat it. She was a 10-year-old young girl when we happened to spent time on the campus.
Suma's mother and brother were among the construction workers for Zakir Hussain Lecture Hall Complex. Originally from Mahabubnagar, Suma came just before the summer vacations. Suma joined our educational programme, EachoneTeachone.She likes to dress up pretty well. A chatterbox, she teases you for some fun. Sometimes she insists on some things and be ready to fight with her because she would never give up. When we all go out for snacks, she would buy some extra for her brother and if some of her friends complain, you will see Suma raising her tone and say, what is your problem. Suma had a lean-shaped body and the bones were visible at first sight. A yellow dress used to be her favourite. She would wear that on special occasions. 
I could speak to others using the little Telugu I learned from them. But Suma was a complex person who would ask you many questions and had little patience such that if you are not answering in a good flow, she would walk away. The first thing she would ask our Telugu volunteers was to help me speak Telugu. I saw a spark in her eyes when she received the merit medal from our faculty. After I left the campus and they returned home, I used to enquire about them when I meet others from the site. 
Yesterday, I received a call from Ashok. He informed me that his mother passed away last week. He passed the phone to Suma. She is appearing in her Class X exams. 
"Suma, ela unnaru? (How are you Suma)
"Bagunna anna" (I am good, anna)
"Examkki prepare chestunnara?" (Are you preparing for the exams?) 
"Haa anna" (Yes anna)
We talked something for 20 seconds. I was out of words for a while. She passed the phone and told Jyothi. "I don't know Hindi and anna can't speak Telugu." I remembered how she teased me in the past. Our mutual love grew without the help of language. But indeed it could have been a great value addition! 

Sumalatha receiving the medal with a smile.




    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Darjeeling to Gangtok and to Subecha's home

Maimoona and Shakeela

എഴുത്തിനെ സ്നേഹിച്ച ഒരാൾ