No money can buy you these richnesses!

I played a Whatsapp game yesterday. A status asking 'what is your favourite memory with me' met with decent responses. Many of them associated with a student initiative we did together. While reading them, it took me back to those times. 
Evening time in University of Hyderabad campus was dedicated to these children. We, some from the student community and children of construction labourers used to meet up at a waiting shed near the old SN School building. They came there to learn. We had promised their parents to take care of their interim studies. We tried what was best possible. It was never a one-way process. These children and their love towards us was an unforgettable experience. 


I was their '____ anna'. They accepted me in a short span. My weakness in understanding Telugu and Hindi, two of their familiar languages was not an issue for them. I picked up as time progressed. Every evening, I used to go in front of their homes to call them for the sessions. Children like Poonam and Nithin would refuse to come if I don't meet them personally. Some of them would scold me if I pay too much attention to one kid. Tiny tots like Shirisha would chide their siblings so that I would reach out to them. 
I used to consider each one special. I am not one of those talkative lots. Sometimes I attend these sessions without speaking a word. A child pointed out this to my friend and asked her if I was angry with them. That is when I realised its pitfalls. So, I made it a point to speak up! Children like Chandni and Manasi would run towards me and give a hug after each day. Chandni's smile was as beautiful as how the moon shines. She lost a few teeth. It gave more innocence to her little face. Savitha and Manasi would ask me to hold their hands tight and to do fast round ups. They would call it quits after feeling tired. 
Manjula, the oldest of the lot had tears in her eyes when it was her last class. She was going back to her village the next day. We gave a colourful farewell. We presented her with a group photo. It had the contact numbers of all her akkas and annas. Thanks to the photo, I get calls from many children. Most of them have entered their teenage. The warmth remains tight as ever. I have invitations from many of them to visit their villages. 
Life is strange for a reason. I came to this city empty-handed. Now there are people who love me. They don't expect much other than my care and smile. Like someone said, "richnesses that no money can buy."










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Darjeeling to Gangtok and to Subecha's home

Maimoona and Shakeela

എഴുത്തിനെ സ്നേഹിച്ച ഒരാൾ