Dream home
Home is a safe haven. It is a cosy and comfortable place where we could express ourselves with not much apprehension. I have a small home. I live outside my home in a big city to earn fine for my family. Usually, I don't get time to spent time in my homeland. COVID-19 resulted in a big change. I got a chance to be with my people for a longer timespan.
My house
We have a house with two bedrooms. Five people live there and it is a little bit congested. My father and mother feel that it will get tougher after my marriage, an event which is at least two years away from now. We have taken a home loan to refurbish the existing house. I will be repaying the loan. Our house was set up in 2011 after four years of struggle. Honestly, I never took part much in the house construction activity because I loved our former house so much that I did not entertain the thought of leaving it to stay in a new home. But the rebellious teenager had to give way and spent over 10 years happily there.
Old houseI spent less time at our home due to distance education and workdays. My father and mother made this home a reality after undergoing a hard time with financial struggles. They have cleared all the debts and have expanded the house nicely.
Now it is my turn to make our home nicer. Our family is excited about the housing project. We wish to start off the construction works once the bank manager gives us a go-ahead and when COVID-19 is not a threat. The manager is undergoing home quarantine and hence there is a delay.
But we have one more home to take care of. Our first home, a small Tharavad-like traditional structure is 90 years old now. It stands beside our 'new' home. We have given out the house for rent.
I would definitely love to 'upgrade' Puthiyaveedu (name of our old home) and set up a 'dream home' there. I don't know how far my sister is going to help me out but we have already decided to name it 'NeeNidhi' (You are the treasure), a combination of our names, interests and passion.
I and family will have the new home to live while 'NeeNidhi' is going to be an extended home surrounding some special people.
What is it going to be?
This is our attempt to making a safe nest for the neediest girls. We have a special affection towards girls and we intend to focus on their lives. People have two options. To stay here during their vacations like a summer camp. If some are homeless, they can stay here all the time. They can live here like our own family member.
We would like to share the home with 5/6 less privileged girls. Our initiative may sound like an orphanage or special home to a good number of people. We have no problem with that but honestly, our motive is different. We want our girls to feel this place like their own home. We want them to enjoy their lives without too much negativity and abandonment. We are just offering them a place along with some warmth and care. We know our limitations pretty well. We know our strengths too. The girls would definitely feel great here. This is a calm and happy village. It is away from the complexities of modern living.
How is it going to be
We may set up a dining spot filled with art and music at one corner. We will look to plant trees, grow vegetables, set up a nice garden, construct a treehouse and tie up a boat on our small pond. A reading corner and film screenings are part of our plans. It will be inhabited by several animals including cows, goats, cats and dogs along with visiting birds. This is nature's dwelling. We wish to see it that way.
Happy home
The inmates will be able to stay here, undertake their studies, engage in life-skill learning (Tailoring, art, cooking, spoken English etc) based on their interests, etc. All our guests and well-wishers can meet us on Sundays for a joyful weekend. We have to use their contributions to the welfare of our girls.
Money matters
How can we make this dream a reality? I have some plans in mind.
1). To take up another loan - I don't wish to add any liabilities in life. But I really want to see my dreams materialise one day and not to look back at my life with regrets and missed chances.
2). To sell a piece of my land share - I understand my family and friends would not like to see it happen to me. If I have no other options, I'd be forced to do the same if I share the same intensity that I have now at that time.
3). Initiate campaigns to raise the required money - This idea #Giveupgold calls upon women to share a small part of their gold that they have gained from their marriage, as gifts etc. The idea is to make your gold shine brightly to build a wonderful future for some of the lesser privileged. We understand the value of your ornament and promise that it will glow more if you are willing to share it with us. We would exchange the gold to accumulate the required amount. Are you ready to give us some gold?
4). General funding drive - I will share this dream with like-minded big establishments and look to take their help in setting this up.
5) Crowdfunding - Another idea is to publish a book and use the revenue to set this up. But I am a terribly bad writer, isn't it true?
Dreams and reality
Whether our dream home will become a reality would depend upon the present. I need to evolve myself and make me ready to take up this challenging task. I need to achieve more excellence and stand independently on my own in my life, career, finance. I am game and keeping my apprehensions and doubts into a faraway corner.
If I stay true to my words, this note could reflect me in future about my dreamy days. I hope I do not disappoint this time.


Dreams and reality
ReplyDelete