Manju and me
Manjula used to have a bright smile. I was not sure how she would react at present as it had been four years since we met each other. We spent a lovely time at the University of Hyderabad Campus. Each one Teach one initiative made us closer. She told me several times that I was like her own anna.
Manju could not go to school for one year. She and her family had come to the campus in search of a better future. She was a bright student who had to take a break from learning and she was very uncomfortable about sitting idle at home. Manju had a desire for learning. Initially, we arranged individual style learning with the help of 3/4 Telugu team members who carried out the task on a rotation basis. She improved a lot. Manju had excellent command over Telugu.
Manju's school admission
We became closer. I saw her personal album. Her parents prepared special snacks and invited me home for festivals. My cravings for Telugu snacks began there!
I and my Telugu friends pushed the case of joining Manju in a residential school. We knew that she had an excellent future and she shouldn't wait for one more year. We talked to her parents' patiently and gave satisfiable answers to all their concerns. However, Manju never had any doubts as she knew that a school was the best place that can bring out the best in her.
A group of officials from MV Foundation, a Hyderabad-based NGO, visited their temporary home in UoH campus upon our request. The plan finally worked well! Manju's parents said yes to school admission. I saw her shining eyes that moment and I acknowledged her thankful look though I was the one who was feeling more thankful because I believed Manju's steely determination has had a big role in her admission. I and Basappa accompanied her on the admission day. There were two children - Manju and Sapna. We bought them favourite dresses, new sandals and study-related items on the way to Kasturba Vidyalaya, Kacheguda in June 2015.
The long gap
Manju and I could not spend much time together after she joined her classes. She would come to her temporary home inside the campus on festival/summer holidays to meet us and to stay with her parents who work as construction labourers for Zakir Hussain Lecture Hall Complex. On one such occasion, we taught her bicycle riding with the help of a Kerala friend who used to communicate to Manju using Malayalam. Manju did not understand this language but was somewhat familiar to it as I do speak my mother tongue. My friend was a beginner in Telugu but Manju learned bicycle riding in 2/3 week's time!
We wrote a surprise letter and kept the same in her home one night. A campus friend helped us to get her a bicycle. I saw a jubilant Manju the next day. Her brother was also happy.
Sundays were mostly 'fun days'. Once, Sumalatha, another Each one Teach one girl and Manju came to my hostel room with me to watch Baahubali. I remember the surprised look of hostel people when they saw the two children walking alongside me into my room. We did not care about them and we finished the film together clapping and whistling. One Sunday was a forgettable day though as we were insulted by a bunch of misinformed people from the campus.
Reunion
It was a pleasant surprise when we reconnected after a long gap of three years via a phone call. She opened up to me about many things. She realised that we are making more sense to each other. I listened to her keenly and expressed my opinions confidently and frankly. She was surprised when I told her how I learned some vocal Telugu. Manju thanked me for Each one Teach one and I thanked her for our memorable experiences.
We wanted to try a video call but couldn't do before smart Suma did the rescue act! She bought her friend Kalyani's smartphone which turned out to a surprise video call. Manju and I saw each other after a long time span. She showed me her parents who were enjoying Suma's special dinner. The connection was not great. Manju came out of the house for better signal. She asked about the meaning of a blog when I told that I am writing about her in my new post. We continued talking. I noticed a couple of happy tears rolling down her cheek. I did not ask about the reason because I knew it already.

Nice ...
ReplyDelete