The reluctant writer
Good writing is a hard task which involves clarity, conciseness and readability. An idea could be beautiful and shareworthy. But if the writer is not able to express it through words, the whole effort could go in vain. The readers may miss out an opportunity to read something nice.
How do we achieve this daunting task of keeping the reader glued to our words?
1) Write clearly and legibly - Try to keep a sequence. Make sure that there is continuity in each sentences. Avoid writing complex sentences. Try to make it simple and easy to understand. Let the idea shine brightly but not the words.
2). Think hard - Good writing involves a lot of thinking. We need to form a structure in our mind to form a meaning to our ideas. Make sure we highlight each idea separately because they form the outline of our writings. Think about the possible angles that may work for our writing piece.
3) Edit smoothly- Please read and reread our drafts and don't stop until we feel it is enough. The best practice is to wait for a good time before deciding to publish our content. We need to read the content several times to strike out the irrelevant and unnecessary parts. This can help to make the writing appear nice.
Social media and writing
There is a lot of literature posted by writing aspirants that are available online. Previously, it was not easy to gain access to read diverse set of content. Thus, they were prized possessions. But now, creative content is not that far away from our reach.
Social media is a level-playing field and a great platform to hear different voices and feedbacks. It can help understand the general trends, public views and social understanding. But there are cons too. Too much of virtual presence can affect our thinking power. Virtual space is like a small bubble which we may affect our objective eyes and sometimes we end up writing subjective content before realizing our mistakes too late. A responsible writer needs to be watchful all the time.
Writing and me
I have a little bit of writing ambitions. I like to write complex thoughts in simple sentences. I want my words to evoke emotions to people. I wish my words are true and genuine which entails facts and logic. I cannot suppress my emotions in writings. I can't hide facts and what I always try is to look at one issue in various perspectives to understand its meaning. Sometimes I do achieve, but most of the times I don't succeed probably because I lack practical knowledge and thinking power. I don't offer new insights. My writings are based on existing information. I repeat what people have written over the years. But
I try to maintain consistency and clarity. Some voices, even if they are familiar and known to us, might work sometimes. But I don't know if this argument is right in my case.
I often approach people with my blog to hear their views. I make necessary changes based on their suggestions. I often write abstractly as various ideas fascinate me and I end up like a kid who confuses to pick his/her favourite toy when s/he is attending a colourful festival.
My limitations
I have not read enough literature and hence my vocabulary is way too minimal. My grammatical structure contains flaws because I did not properly learn English in my school days.
My thoughts may become obsolete or impractical in today's world. But I try not to become a misfit. What I constantly try is to understand the present reality and write accordingly. But do I miss out on major points? I certainly do but it is all part of growing up. I am an immature writer, a beginner, not a trained one.
For example, acting involves two kinds - natural and methodical way of behaving. Similarly, writing also consists different methods.
I write sentences, realises my mistakes, rewrites till a point and the activity shuts stop. I can't simply turn my eyes away even if the writing idea is eye catching on its own merit. Whenever I did this, out of excitement, my writing did not appealed to neither me nor my readers.
My strengths
Some of my stories hold some values on its own. I happen to be a spectator to special moments and I simply put in an effort to translate my emotion into words.
Some of my readers appreciate the 'earnest tone' in my writings. They complain about a sense of vagueness in my ideas and I feel lack of detailing being the main reason for this drawback.
I value every feedback I receive. They make me think about my tone, facts, writing style, detailing etc. I haven't been able to present my writings to a large set audience. My blog is a small and simple one.
When I imagine my work alongside innumerous writings we read on a daily basis, I feel that I am overambitious about my writing skills. But I do know that every person can become a writer.
What I wish to do is to improvise my writings to place my thoughts, experiences, ideas, concerns to responsible readers to trigger them to think further and to make me think harder. Am I making sense?
Comments
Post a Comment