Flower love
I admire the beauty of simple flowers. I enjoy when they bloom in the morning sun. I relish when they appear colourful in the evening. Every time a flower is born, I share the anxiety and care of a firstborn's parent. I think it is more or less the same with every garden lover.
Gardening is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding hobbies. Every day, I take a walk through my surrounding areas to casually observe the plants. In Hyderabad, I mostly see city plants, the kind which are rare to find in villages. Many people have developed this habit to decorate their apartment with indoor and outdoor plants in the city. When I chance upon a rose or a hibiscus plant in a flowerpot, I think about its existence in soil. They grow thick and tall when they are rooted to nature. They tend to hold themselves up in a flower pot like some of us -- Those who give away our dreams and desires to live in terms with reality.
On my way to my former office, there is a beautiful kanikkonna tree beside KBR park. I glance at it whenever I pass through the park and it delights me if I spot some peacocks or any birds beside the tree. The tree is near to the traffic signal, so there is ample time to watch closely. I do not have my own garden in the city as I live in a paying guest facility surrounded by 100 inmates.
I don't think we are owners of anything in general but are security keepers, that too for a particular time span which passes on to some others after our time ends.
I have a plant that I consider as my own in the city! It is a guava plant situated near the park wall beside the PG. I water it daily when I go for breakfast. Its tiny branches were wounded when a reckless flat owner parked his vehicle carelessly a year ago. The car was kept idle for over two weeks and it felt like two years when the owner removed the vehicle but injured another puppy during the process. Some of us live a busy and secluded life such that the tiny pleasures of others are of no value to them.
My village home has got a collection of lovely plants. There were so many in yesteryears and they always used to refresh my mornings. We plant them hoping they will have a lovely life at this place. I do not enjoy much of a big success while planting them, when compared to my father and mother. Beyond scientific methods, there is a silent bond between a plant and a planter. It is a mutual communication that is not understood by others and it does not wonder when people share their personal feelings about the growth of a plant anymore.
I like outdoor plants a little more than indoor plants because I feel the former ones are more in sync with the tone of nature. When plants are located inside the home walls, I don't feel the same. I don't actually know the scientific truth behind the thought that plants have feelings. Any passionate gardener would say that plants indeed communicate or exhibit some of their feelings with us. I see a sensual warmth when a plant moves sideways similar to dancing to the tune of the moving wind. When they bloom, I feel that they are expressing their love towards us. Not everyone will understand how plant lovers think. But their love towards a plant is such that it is difficult to separate between the two. I felt the pain of abandonment when some plants were cut down for some valid reasons. I sense a kind of dissatisfaction when plants are carelessly chopped down to keep them in good shape.
Plants are unique beings that spread beauty. Every being that spreads beauty deserves appreciation. My love for plants and flowers are dated back to childhood. I remember the sight of flowers and trees that I used to love in the past and the houses where they glow like shining stars. When I revisit the places, I look out if they are there or what has replaced them. Whenever a construction activity takes place at home, my heart lingers for the trees and plants that may face the axe. I love them dearly and at times, their departures are hurtful even If you try to act like a sensible being.
I often think about a flowery future. When I settle down somewhere in my own piece of land in a small home, I want to decorate it with colourful plants, fruit trees and vegetables. I remember a Malayalam movie, Udyanapalakan and the story of a 'selfish' giant who never allowed others to touch his plants. But I love to share my tiny treasures with like minded people.
I learned the genuine value of kindness just by looking at the flowers. I grasped some rules of nature while growing up with the plants. I am looking forward to a life full of beautiful plants.
Comments
Post a Comment