'Imagine' and a friend
Some songs are special as they take us into many hidden memories like time-machines. When we hear them, we recall certain moments in life. That makes some of them more closer to our hearts.
I have not really explored western music. 'Daddy Yankees, Baby, Every night in my dreams,' I can literally count the songs that I am familiar in this genre.
John Lennon's meaningful song 'Imagine' came to me through a campus friend. She is a good human. We enjoy one on one conversations. We used to meet at some secluded spots in our campus. Many common interests connect us nicely as we exchange our thoughts.
The dreamer
She is genrally coonsidered to be an Utopian being because of her earnest nature. She has a calm nature and was struggling to find peace in life. She was about to make some tough choices. We walked into the woods that sunny evening.
I remember her when I listen to this song. I remember our friendship, the dreams we shared together, the talks we had, the mistakes we made and how we survived.
We sat near a big rock. She told me about her struggles and I shared mine too. "I listen to this song when I am high. It heals me well, " she told me in her low and soft voice.
"Is it?," I asked.
"Yes, " she replied by looking into my eyes.
We continued talking that evening and it became very dark when we parted ways. Those were testing days. Everything appeared fake and meaningless to us.
One day I woke past midnight as my roomie's loud and gentle music hit hard in my ears. He was playing 'Imagine.' I listened to Lennon's soft and soothening voice.
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace, you,
You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one"
You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one"
I felt a sense of joy and brotherhood while listening to its lyrics. The silence of the midnight added more beauty to the song. So, I played it repeatedly that night. The cosmopolitan meaning of that song was too inspiring to my ears.
Afterword
If the going gets tough, we rely on something to hold on to, to keeping us moving. I asked if she could sing it for me. She did and I enjoyed it. Months later, she left the campus for a better future. I'd like to believe she has found some peace.
I often listen to 'Imagine'. Sometimes, I remember my friend. She introduced me to this song. I remember our talks, dreams, mistakes and survival stories.
You may say we are dreamers, but we are not alone, are we?
Listen to Imagine:

Comments
Post a Comment