Bookish kid's encounter with a bookworm

My first interaction with English books came in the form of a translation series in my childhood years. It came to my notice through the dear intervention of my dad. I owe him a lot in life. He is one of the first persons who noticed my interest in literature. It led him to save a part of his salary to buy me books and magazines. Some of our weekend conversations followed this pattern.



'Da, I have something for you. Have a look at it.'
'What's there? I can see a cover, acha (father).'
'Why don't you open it? There is something in it.' (Winks)
'A book, again..That's nice of you! I am happy you bought it.'
'He glances at me again and enters his room to change his clothes. We are a middle class family and sometimes, books were a luxury in those early years. But family never denied me from buying books. I also kept a close eye on not buying costly ones. 

We are not a family of avid readers.We only read occasionally.  Dad was my best supporter. know that his book-buying was an expression of love. I also know that I am fortunate to have early exposure to English and Malayalam books, thanks to my dad.

My amma too had a significant role.
She told me some nice stories. 
She suggested joining me in our village school. It was run by Raju sir. The fee was very minimal and affordable. But we were only 28 children in total from LKG to Class V. So we were fortunate to receive individual care. 

Amd When I joined Sree Vidyapeedom in Class V, my English teacher took extra care of me. Miss spotted that backbencher boy very early. Miss
was disappointed when I messed up in class works. She never gave up. She once told me that I have some wonderful ideas in mind. She suggested some fine-tuning in writing style. She asked me to focus on English Grammar, an area where I am still very poor. The most fascinating thing she told me was that we can grasp the grip of a language if we have a big desire to weave a story. 

She was a beautiful looking young woman. She was perhaps the most attractive woman in the school. As I write this, I realise that is been 18 years since we have talked. 

She was very fond of good stories and narrated them with passion and emotion. Students who sat quietly in backbenches like me waited for her next class. I always used to read the whole story. It was nothing academical, but more like a pleasure activity. 

I am a slow reader who does not rememeber most details in a story. I read very little. I have a book shelf at home now. I have a total of around 250 books as of now. Mostly I horrow books from library and keep affordably priced books in home book shelf. Middle class things, you know!

His book library

When I was a school kid, I happened to visit the home library of a national award-winning school teacher, Aniyan Kuttan sir. I stood admirably in front of his gigantic collection and took out one book from many and started reading. An hour passed by and he returned after his work, to check on me. He glanced at the books which I have taken out for rent.

'But you were reading another book.'
'Yeah, sir'. 
'Then why you are taking these ones, instead of that book?'
'Nothing sir. I am only taking one book at a time.I don't want to take that one too.'
'It is a great book'
'I know. I really love to read, but exams are approaching and I can't finish it now. So l like to take a small book now.'
'I see. It is rare to see young kids take up such 'heavy books'. 
I smiled back at his response. 
'Da. Whenever you need a book, you must come home and meet me.'
I could not resist my happiness. 
'Really? Thank you so much, uncle.. I really mean it. I want to be honest with you. I did not take that book because I thought you may not allow me to take it!'

'Hey, relax. There is nothing like that. You take that book right now! And remember...You should not return it to me.'
'No sir. Exams are approaching. I will come again on vacations'. 
'Ok da. Anytime'.
I

Several years have passed by. I do not know if the book is there anymore because he is no more. I could not visit his home in the vacations.
Some people only read books, while some people are best at reading minds! He was a national award winning teacher. He was one of the best souls I met in our village. He read my desire to read that seminal work and offered that book to me with kindness. Later on, I realised that he does not normally share his books with people. 

Postscript: And....what was the name of that book? You may wonder! 

The book was Maxim Gorki's 'Mother', and I have not completed reading that seminal work! It is a read on progress but the concern is that I do not have a personal copy with me. I should consider borrowing it from the library, soon. 

 
  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Darjeeling to Gangtok and to Subecha's home

Maimoona and Shakeela

എഴുത്തിനെ സ്നേഹിച്ച ഒരാൾ