Let's keep writing, let's keep trying...

When I was in college, I had an image in my mind about a person who possessed a dreamy state of living. Something that we classify as Utopians! The idea of such a character existed in one corner of the mind as I looked around to find if someone in my wild dreams exists in real. It was more of a pleasure activity as I intended to form a good rapport with that person. It might be tough to believe that it took me almost three years to find someone I was searching for, but it happened for our good. Before her arrival, I spent time with equally shining people, but only she had what I wanted, for which she is a special memory.
We indeed met by chance, but we become friends by choice. Her chirpy chatters, flowery laughs, and our walks are some of my favorite memories. I liked her for many reasons but what I loved was her beautiful talent in writing.
There was clarity, imagination, empathy, and insight in her words. As we got closer, she openly told me about her big dreams and deep desires, and like all good friends, we bid goodbye to the campus soon. Even then, I had a firm belief that she would emerge as an academic turned writer since writing was part of her character.
Now it struck me hard when she expressed her inability to write about something despite trying. It is distressing to hear creative people say that they face tantamount difficulty to fill up the missing dots and gel together with a decent narrative. They have many writing topics influenced by many events, and the so-called fragments are not pulling together to form the complete picture. Some people take long intervals under the fear of not wanting to end up with an abstract piece. She had that fear in mind which is admirable because it comes with a silent determination.
When do some writers fail
Writing is a demanding form of expressive art. We fail when it is hard to add words to match our imagination. The craft part of writing makes it a challenging form of expression. No matter how touching a memory could be, it will entertain a reader only if it is well-written. My friend is a gifted writer who thought of giving up due to her inability to express something that creatively satisfied her tastebuds. I don't remember if I ever told her to write something because I know it is a slow and meditative art for some people. Such people think that we reach its depth only when we are patient enough. But as I talked, I heard that dead voice inside me which was a bit restless in tone.
'My dear friend, how will you enjoy the beauty or sorrow of a moment if you are not writing it down somewhere? You know, at times, our memories can mislead us. Emptiness can rip us into parts. At those testing times, it is our words, not people who can console us powerfully because they are like torch-bearers who show us our real self while people would have other matters to resolve.'
Writing is like traveling
Sometimes, our writings would disappear only to travel somewhere to return with truckloads of experiences. When words travel, they search for stories that help frame a neat narrative. But the significant part of it is to decide which to keep and which to drop in one write-up. But we can be best assured that everything will be of some value at some point.
On the other hand, if we cling to a word for so long, we might overuse it to a point where it may appear unfit in a given context. Isn't it mentally tiring, unexciting, and unchallenging to repeat what we already wrote?
Writing is organic or planned?
In my understanding, writing has different shades, purposes, textures, and colors. This activity can be an organic or a planned one because some people start writing after framing the whole picture, while for some, an idea would show up as they engage in writing.
Some people follow a methodist kind of writing in which they exhibit their thoughts in a structured form. Some people are naturalists who prepare original, organic writings with ease and grace.
A year ago, a friend narrated an insightful conversation between a naturalist and an organizer. The former found it tough to believe people can teach writing to students. Previously, she thought that ideas like storytelling and writing are part of our creative imaginations that we naturally gain by reading and writing. The methodist affirmed that we can become a writer by following an organized pattern in writing.
Sometimes we never start writing but sit empty in front of a device or notebook only to figure out that what we have written is not what we have intended in real. We disregard some of our writings if they don't appear how we intended to create them. Most of my writings do not give answers but remained as genuine attempts.
Sometimes, our writings stop midway, but I like to think that they will eventually return at some point if it is supposed to be so. Writing is often painful, but the creative pain behind the birth of a good piece is special.
*Dedicated to you, dear friends.
Comments
Post a Comment