Apna Hyderabad
Hyderabad is my home for the past six years. I didn't have much prior knowledge about the city before landing here. I knew some history through Social Science textbooks. But I thought that I will get to know the city better once I stay there.
In my initial days, I missed my native place a lot. The serene campus environment, supportive friends and daily adventures did make me happy. But when I was alone, I missed the food. I tasted all the nearby Kerala restaurants and chose the affordable ones. As time went by, I started liking Telugu cuisine. The sheer joy of having Perugu Annam (rice with curd) with Avakkaya pickle (mango) is unmatchable now. I am fond of Pappu (dal) too. Chikkudukkaya, Dondakkaya, Bendakkaya, Pulihora and Rasam can satiate my hunger any day. Since I don't eat non-veg, I never get a chance to taste the famous Hyderabadi Biryani, Haleem, Paya or Kalyani Biryani - four of the signature dishes here. I have been to these restaurants but to eat paneer or veg biryani/pulao while my friends relished their favourites.
![]() |
| Charminar. Photo: PTI |
People, places
Hyderabadi people are friendly, approachable and helpful. Hyderabadis are also known for their hospitality. They take good care of you to make sure you are comfortable. People are generally open-minded. They say it out loud what they feel. Their unique style and accent may hit you for simplicity and pace. Some of them speak fastly and you may end up asking the same thing.
Charminar, Golconda Fort, Salarjung Museum, Shilparamam, Ramoji Film City, Purani Haweli, Hussain Sagar Lake - The city has quite a good number of places to explore. Each of these places has a unique
history too. It is mostly related to Nizami influence. A visit to Charminar is incomplete without the shopping at Laal Bazaar and Irani Chai at Nimrah Cafe. Irani Chai is the most popular drink here. It goes well with Osmania biscuit. The chai is a little thicker in texture. People say Irani Chai and Osmania biscuit can melt all your problems away!
The best part I see about Hyderabad is the cost of living. It is way cheaper when compared to other big cities. The best example is my PG where I am staying at an unmatchable rent of Rs 3,500 for over four years. Biryani, Daaru (liquor) and Chai are the biggest unifiers here. People enjoy partying a lot. Parties are incomplete without Biryani and Daaru. Two people can easily finish one full biryani accompanied with Raita and Mirchi ka salon.
Specialities
The city is home to Indian badminton with all the big names present here. One can enjoy cricket matches at Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Uppal. In Koti, you get everything cheap if you have bargaining skills. The price can drop up to 60/70 per cent provided you talk well. People don't consider it rude if you say things straight to their face. But, the tone matters too!
The annual Numaish shopping exhibition, a walk through Charminar at night during Ramzan and an exploration to Golconda Fort are the three unmissable things to enjoy your Hyderabad experience. Each of these activities is special on their own and can present you fond memories for a lifetime.
The city is not away from challenges. Major threats are environmental pollution, traffic and water scarcity. The government and Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation are looking at these problems seriously. We, the citizens too need to step in and do our bit.
My experience in Hyderabad taught me that the city has a unique charm of its own. It is a nice blend of tradition and modernity. Just compare Old City with Hitech City. These are two different worlds if I am not wrong.
Many of my friends expressed this feeling too. They wish to move back to Hyderabad. Probably because the city grows inside us!
How to reach
Secunderabad, Nampally railway stations and Shamshabad airport.
![]() |
| Golconda Fort: Photo: Incredible India |
history too. It is mostly related to Nizami influence. A visit to Charminar is incomplete without the shopping at Laal Bazaar and Irani Chai at Nimrah Cafe. Irani Chai is the most popular drink here. It goes well with Osmania biscuit. The chai is a little thicker in texture. People say Irani Chai and Osmania biscuit can melt all your problems away!
The best part I see about Hyderabad is the cost of living. It is way cheaper when compared to other big cities. The best example is my PG where I am staying at an unmatchable rent of Rs 3,500 for over four years. Biryani, Daaru (liquor) and Chai are the biggest unifiers here. People enjoy partying a lot. Parties are incomplete without Biryani and Daaru. Two people can easily finish one full biryani accompanied with Raita and Mirchi ka salon.
![]() |
| Hyderabadi Biryani |
The city is home to Indian badminton with all the big names present here. One can enjoy cricket matches at Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Uppal. In Koti, you get everything cheap if you have bargaining skills. The price can drop up to 60/70 per cent provided you talk well. People don't consider it rude if you say things straight to their face. But, the tone matters too!
The annual Numaish shopping exhibition, a walk through Charminar at night during Ramzan and an exploration to Golconda Fort are the three unmissable things to enjoy your Hyderabad experience. Each of these activities is special on their own and can present you fond memories for a lifetime.
The city is not away from challenges. Major threats are environmental pollution, traffic and water scarcity. The government and Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation are looking at these problems seriously. We, the citizens too need to step in and do our bit.
My experience in Hyderabad taught me that the city has a unique charm of its own. It is a nice blend of tradition and modernity. Just compare Old City with Hitech City. These are two different worlds if I am not wrong.
Many of my friends expressed this feeling too. They wish to move back to Hyderabad. Probably because the city grows inside us!
How to reach
Secunderabad, Nampally railway stations and Shamshabad airport.



Comments
Post a Comment