Aji chittappan's last wish
Aji chittappan was our neighbour. He was family. I have known him since childhood. He was a school teacher with a charming personality. He taught social science. He was the one who supported me in childhood. He triggered me by asking questions. He was happy when I choose Humanities in Plus Two stream.
His younger son is my good friend. Chittappan used to give us answer sheets for paper corrections. He briefs us the yardsticks to evaluate the paper. There were discussions, mostly political in nature. I took his opposite stand on some issues. But he would patiently listen to my opinion and share his thoughts. He had a gang of good friends. They were his biggest strength.
The two problems his loved ones had was his constant smoking and stressed behaviour. He loves cigarettes. You will find plenty of them in his home. He lights up one or two when he is unsure about something and just to kill time. My friend and elder brother would argue with him for hours. But he knew what he was doing. He didn't want to compromise on his likes!
Support for a 'confused' teenager
Chittappan liked me since childhood. There was a phase when people did not take me seriously. But not chittappan. He tried to understand me. For a 'confused' teenager, his support meant something. He told me about his journey. He had this innate quality of narrating well. You can sit with him for hours and listen to him with no boredom.
I used to meet him every morning when I visit his home to read the newspaper. He would call Chitta to offer me a cup of tea. Sometimes, he will share his opinion about current happenings. "____ this is why I take this stand. Now tell me, what is wrong in it?" This is how he would finish his sentence.
He was a movie lover. He enjoys rewatching some films. Drishyam was his recent favourite. So were Ravanaprabhu and Devasuram. He had an amazing style sense. I always loved his choice of colours. He used to dress up pretty well to go to school. I had seen him in a clean shaved look only once. That was somewhere in the year 2002 when he had eye surgery.
His relationship with two of his sons was admirable. When I saw Vaaranam Aayiram, some parts of it reminded me of chittappan. He once dialled me his friend Swaminathan. I was doing Journalism. He wanted me to speak to him because Swaminathan was an accomplished man.
It was around the end of 2016 March/April that his health worsened. His sons tried all they could. But the damage was done. I was in Hyderabad and had an interview to attend the next day. I could not see him one final time. I felt sorry for Chitta, chettan and my friend. But life had to move on! He had two wonderful sons. They shared the responsibilities. The elder son had a fine job. The younger one completed medicine. It was his dad's special wish.
At times, the younger one felt vulnerable. He missed his presence. But the elder one stood beside him. The two sons and a lovely dog helped Chitta. She too moved on. Slowly but steadily. Things take time.
Four years have passed by. His elder son got married to his choice. She knows chittappan really
well. Much to their happiness, a child was born recently.
His younger son has come a long way. He has started a clinic. When he was stressed, he found a counsellor in his father. His journey is that of his father too. He fulfilled his father's wish.
Chittappan missed the wedding and his son's convocation. I don't know if there was a silent presence! Some people think that way. The family made sure of his presence. They placed him in the wedding photo. He must be a happy man!

A 'confused' teenager...
ReplyDelete